now browsing by category
You might have noticed that things have gone a bit quiet around here, with good reason. Amy has decided to focus her attentions elsewhere, so she’ll no longer be writing for PPP. I’ll miss her a great deal and wish her all the best.
So what becomes of the site we started together? I think it’s come a long way in the past couple of years, and it’s something I’m really proud of, so I don’t want the site to die. What I’ve always loved about PPP is that it’s a team effort, so now I’m looking for a couple more writers to join me. Do you have a love of pretty things, combined with a sense of realism? Can you appreciate beauty products while disapproving of aspects of the beauty industry? Do you want to write about stuff because you love to share and not just because occasionally you may get free products out of it? Send me an email, let’s have a chat – joanna (a) prettyprettypretty.com.
So Hope Bros in Wellington is doing a deal on Tuesdays where if you buy a martini, you get a mini manicure for free. We figure we’ll go down there to check it out, so if you’re not doing anything, come meet us around 5.15pm and have a drink with us!
We’ve written about the lovely Sue Tyler and her gorgeous jewellery before, but with Christmas coming up, we thought it might be a good idea to talk about her again. In fact, it’s really excellent timing because all this week she’s offering items at super special prices, and to celebrate, we’ve got one of
her gorgeous sugar skull necklaces to give away!
To make this a happy holiday for everyone, if you want to win it, we’ll make it real simple. Just leave us a comment before December 15 telling us what you’d like to see more of on PPP next year, and we’ll draw the winner that day so you’ll get your skull in time for Xmas.
I got so annoyed with the way that our purple site wouldn’t let us control pictures properly that I’ve changed the theme, and now pictures do what I want them to do. To celebrate, here’s Joan Holloway at the Emmys. Oh hell yes.
As you may know, we hate it when a company tries to tell us what it means to be feminine or beautiful. That’s why every time we talk to a fabulous woman, we ask her what her definition of ‘Pretty’ is, in order to assemble a big picture. So, on Saturday night at our big One Year party, we asked everyone present to give us a definition in order to win Linden Leaves & Workout|Zone prizes, and this is what they came up with:
- Marie A: My definition of pretty is natural beauty, inside & out!!
- Robyn: Pretty is… the other side of the mirror
- Michele Stack: My definition of pretty is: clean confidence
- Morgan: My definition of pretty is being happy in your own skin and accepting that without our ‘flaws’ and differences people would be boring to look at and admire
- Meg W: Pretty = doing nice things to make you feel nice
- Anon: a bubbly fun forum for pretty people & friends, old & new
- Anj: smart + confident & friendly
- Gabrielle: pretty is lovely
- Karen: pretty is as pretty does
- Klara H: pretty is a smile and way girl is pretty. Pretty me and all my friends
- Frances: pretty is shining with confidence
- Chiara: pretty has nothing to do with your actual looks
- Maria: pearls
- Raeanna: dresses
- Theresa: pretty is as pretty does
- Julie: pretty: artfully arranged to make you smile
- Dee: confidence, and humorous
- Megan: Pretty is a smile when you are down, that makes you feel 1000x better
- Melissa: confidence and smiles!
- Sarah R: pretty = adj, delightful! Delicious! Extraordinarily pleasing to the eye. Sexy.
- Tanz: The feeling of the sun on ur skin after a long winter
- Heather: I don’t really know pretty, but I know what I like
- Kowhai: Pretty is light & eyecatching, not necessarily substantial or beautiful but smiles if light are good.
So there’s some definitions for you. But you know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words? What we’d love for you to do now is to create or find pictures (and give them proper attribution!) that you think best represent one of these definitions (or find a bunch of pictures and enter a bunch of times). Add your picture of the definition to the comments and next Monday we’ll decide on a winner, and before then, we’ll come up with a fancyass prize. Any questions?
Hello my beautiful ladies
Thank you all so much for coming along tonight. I hope you enjoyed it, I hope you learnt something new, and i hope you picked up something fun to take away with you.
Just a quick thanks again to the people who helped make it happen – Fiasco Wines obviously lubed us up real good – they’re doing their Black Pearl Pinot Noir launch tomorrow – details here: http://fiascowines.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/dont-forget/
And you can buy their wines here: http://fiascowines.wordpress.com/wine-orders/ We would love it if you did buy them and let them know why you did – they’re a new company, and I think that they did the right thing hooking up with such smart intelligent girl readers, and I hope they get rewarded for that.
Also thanks to www.lindenleaves.co.nz for their Herbalist Face Care Packs that we had to give away, (and Lou Draper at Rockstar PR (http://prettyprettypretty.com/2009/04/01/pretty-pretty-people-lou-draper-from-rockstar-pr/) for making it happen, as well as Dr Rosy Fenwicke from Workout Zone (http://prettyprettypretty.com/2009/04/06/in-the-workout-zone/) for her generous prizes and sample giveways, and finally to Karyl (http://prettyprettypretty.com/2008/08/20/pretty-pretty-people-karyl-from-mary-kay/) (that I owe some money to and I’ll send you a cheque!) for the amazing Mary Kay Satin Hands kit that we all fell in love with (“my hands are soft like kittens” was a twitter comment), and also the amazing selection of samples we all got, and also to Eleanor who makes Dollop, who gave me and Amy secret presents we’ll no doubt blog about sometime.
The bathbombs in your bag are made with milk powder, citric acid and baking soda, and are either orange, lemon, cinnamon & vanilla or cinnamon, chocolate& vanilla flavoured. If you don’t have a bath, break it down in to chunks and soak your feet in it (use a roasting dish if need be). The CDs are a s ampler of awesome women, and if you like them, buy their albums!
I had such an amazing night – last thanks go to Megan for her red lipstick coverage, all you fantastic girls who came along with clothes to swap (and mountains to donate to the Sallies), the fantastic amazing new people who were shy to come along but who I hoped really enjoyed it, anyone who sang with me, and finally to my beautiful partner in crime Amy, who makes this website what it really is. <3
So much love xojo
We’re turning 1 really soon (April 14 to be exact) and so of course we’re throwing a really big party to celebrate, and we want you to come along!
It’ll be held at my house in Newtown, and if you came along to our 3rd Month Anniversary, you’ll have a vague idea of what to expect, only this will be four times as awesome (and that’s a mathimagical fact).
- Awesome company!
- Beauty advice!
- Clothing & product swaps! (Start clearing out your closets now)
- Exclamation marks!
- Foot spas!
- Karoke & Wii goodness!
- Linden Leaves goodies!
- Sampling galore!
- Sugar overloading!
- Tea from China White!
- Wine from Fiasco!
We’d so love you to come along. So much so, in fact, that we’ve created a facebook invite so you can add yourself to the event. If you haven’t met us in person, don’t be afraid. We are lovely lovely people, and we promise you’ll have fun.
Also, if you’re with a company and you’d like to help us out with making the event extra special with giveaways, products to try, or even with the drinking/catering side of things, we would love to work with you. Give me a call on 021 212 7920 or send me an email – jo (a) prettyprettypretty.com. Hurrah!
Hi! We are still alive, and we are still using many lovely products. We’ve just both been insanely busy though. Updates as normal will follow shortly, but until then, two things:
- We’re going to be having a BIG one year anniversary party in March or April (date to be confirmed) and as part of that there’ll be another clothing swap, so please start saving clothes to trade.
- I love the cover for the new LOVE magazine so much:
- What’s a new product or regime you’ve tried lately? Details please!
So now Pretty Pretty Pretty has a twitter account, as you can see over there on our sidebar (um, I haven’t fixed the style sheets yet, whoops), or perhaps we’ve started following you. If you want to hear instant goodness from us instantly (“we’re in the shop! there’s a sale!” or “should I buy two or three lipsticks?” and the like) you should join Twitter, if you haven’t already, and start following us. And if you don’t get Twitter, well, here’s a link to a little video about it for more information.
Have you ever wanted to dress up to the nines, and have a whole bunch of photos taken of you in ridiculous poses? Here’s your chance! We’re having a Pretty Pretty Pretty Photo Posing Party on Saturday September 6, and we’d like you to come along. We’re going to hold it at Amy’s house and it’s going to be fantastic.
Here’s what you should bring along:
- Something to drink, and snacks to share
- Your makeup collection
- Your most fabulous clothes (costumes that you have are welcome) as well as accessories like hats, boas, canes, snakes, parasols or anything else like that
- Your camera – we want to have a couple of people shooting each girl at the same time
There’ll be music, make-upping, modeling and mayhem, so leave us a comment if you’d like to come along.